How to use our services
The SPS vision is to collaborate with NHS Trusts, Clinical Commissioning Groups and other partners across the south west to enhance and develop pathology services in the region, enabling each organisation to share in the benefits of joining the SPS network.
Joining the Joint Venture
The SPS Joint Venture has been deliberately structured in a way that allows other NHS Trusts in the region to join the collaboration and benefit from the wide range of innovations and service improvements it delivers. Many of the participants in the SPS pathology network choose to work with SPS as customers, whilst some Trusts have taken a shareholding in SPS in addition to being a customer.
The priorities of each organisation will dictate the most appropriate structure for partnering with SPS. We are happy to share our experience and discuss the best fit for potential partners.
Buying our Services
For organisations wishing to directly contract with SPS for the provision of specific services, please contact us and we would be delighted to explore the range of options available to you.
SPS is transforming pathology services across the south west. We have invested in a state-of-the-art hub laboratory and equipment to deliver streamlined, high quality, cost effective pathology services. SPS provides innovative, responsive pathology services, delivering diagnostic tests to support the clinical management of patients.
All SPS laboratories are fully accredited and compliant with quality standards, you can find more information about this in the Quality section
Lord Carter’s Independent Review of NHS Pathology estimated £500m could be saved annually through new approaches to delivering pathology services.
Organisations purchasing SPS services and NHS Trusts partnering with SPS will participate in the significant efficiencies inherent in consolidating services across a hub and spoke network, supporting the delivery of local QIPP targets.
We facilitate a choice of partnership arrangements, whereby SPS takes responsibility for:
- full refurbishment of laboratory facilities, improving the working environment to deliver the most efficient workflow;
- installation of a new, state of the art laboratory and equipment at each site, including POCT in community facilities where appropriate;
- updating equipment, via our extensive supply agreements, to take advantage of the latest technological and medical breakthroughs as soon as they demonstrate benefit to the service;
- IT systems having the requisite connectivity and are fit for purpose to support the pathology network;
- employment of all non-medical pathology staff, meeting all training and development needs;
- ensuring the service is fully accredited;
- implementing a governance structure to ensure each partner’s objectives in joining the JV are realised, at a strategic, clinical, operational and commercial level;
- ensuring the current patient referral process for tests remains unchanged.
If you are interested in partnering with us or finding out more about the specialist testing that iPP offer, please contact our Business Development Manager Avruti Shah and she would be delighted to provide more details.